Natural stone is porous. The best way to prevent stains is to treat the surface with a protective sealer. The sealer fills in the pores and repels spills on the surface, allowing you time to completely wipe it away.
- Granite Care - Use a granite sealant for an additional layer of protection. Clean with a clean, damp cloth and use a small amount of soapy water for heavy residue or debris. Avoid ammonia, bleach or any cleaning products with solvents or caustics, as this will remove the sealant.
- Marble Care - Clean up any water or spills on marble as quickly as possible and consider adding a sealant. Do not use marble in high traffic areas of the home where dirt, sand or other particles may grind into the marble, which can permanently damage or mark the stone.
Never leave a chemical, citric or acidic item or substance on the marble.
Clean marble with a clean, slightly damp cloth and then dry with a soft towel. Avoid bleach, acidic cleaners or any abrasive household cleaners with marble, as etching and dullness may occur.
DO's and DON'Ts of Stone Tops
- DO clean up spills immediately to minimize damage to your stone.
- DO use trivets or mats under hot dishes and cookware.
- DO use place mats under china, ceramics, silver and other objects that can scratch your marble or other soft stone surface.
- DO use coasters under glasses, especially if they contain alcohol or citrus juices.
- DO clean surfaces regularly with clean water or by using special Cleaner & Protector.
- DO use Professional Sealer to protect your stone.
- DON'T wait to clean up spills on stone.
- DON'T use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub cleaners.
- DON'T use vinegar, bleach, ammonia or other general-purpose cleaners.
- DON'T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- DON'T use alkaline cleaners not specifically formulated for stone.
- DON'T use scouring powders and abrasives because they will scratch the surface.
MOST IMPORTANT STEPS
- 1Wipe up spills immediately
- 2Use mild soap and water
- 4Use soft cloth to dry
Use Pledge spray on ALL DARK or MIDIUM COLOR STONE.