A white onyx with busy brown veining and some green touches. Portions of this stone are semi-translucent and can be back-lit.
|Other name(s) used:
|Country of origin:
||Brown, Gold, White
What is Onyx?
Onyx represents a great alternative to popular stone surfaces like granite or marble, which provides an elegant look to any workspace.
Onyx is a calcareous stone, formed by dissolving limestone and redeposited as a new kind of stone. In caves, drip water forms this precious stone as stalactites and stalagmites. It is a soft, brittle stone and should be carefully evaluated for its intended use. Onyx slabs almost always have a fiberglass mesh material on the back to hold the stone together.
Onyx is the perfect example of a stone that requires extra care because it is fragile. What this means is that onyx slabs are not able to be extracted from the ground as well as other stones, so The slabs are much smaller in size than something like granite and need extra care to be manufactured and installed.
Onyx does not hold up well with regular use, because it is a very soft stone, therefore it might not be the best kitchen countertop solution. Pots, pans scratch up the onyx surface as well as anything hard or sharp. Another danger is any acidic liquid (vinegar or lemon juice) as well as red wine. If you spill any of this stuff on onyx, it could “etch” dull and stain the surface.
Maintenance of this beautiful stone is more complex, but it sure worth doing it! Onyx needs to be sealed properly and then cleaned with the special stone cleaner at frequent intervals to make it less-prone to scratching and staining. When normal daily used an onyx countertop needs to be refinished periodically.
- Uniquely colored
- Positively beautiful
- Individual work of art
- Shines brightening up the room
Onyx is a strikingly dramatic stone that comes in pastel colors and swirling patterns. This polished onyx is available in slabs, mosaics, and tiles and it is recommended for interior residential countertops, walls, and designer projects.
Luxury Countertops offers many onyx color choices of this exceptional stone, in-stock and ready to be delivered for your unique project surfaces.
Why choose Onyx
- Onyx countertops are a rarity that bring a unique appearance with a strikingly dramatic appeal.
- Not often placed in a horizontal orientation such as a countertop, onyx countertops are a premium surface.
- The onyx countertops add an extra special and precious touch to any interior design.
- It’s sheer beauty comes in a variety of colors and “veining” that makes each slab look like a work of art.
- Often, onyx is backlit to take advantage of the translucent unique property.
- Onyx is considered for all sorts of dramatic design elements with a very cool and interesting appeal.
- Onyx is among the most expensive countertop materials one can get.
- When you are not sure how you can use onyx in your own projects Luxury Countertops is here to help you make a great choice.